Sunday, May 13, 2012

When Harry Met Sally

Words cannot quite express what this movie means to me. I know that sounds silly being that it's a hollywood blockbuster and all, and the minute detail that the characters in the film are just that, characters. BUT! I love it. I adore Billy Crystal's quirky charm and the youth made alive in his smile as they try and portray him as a young man. I love his dark beard and cynicism as his character grows older. I love how Sally reminds me of myself. I love how simultaneously Sally reacts nothing like I would. The passage of time is unique and constantly unpredictable.
I blame this movie for my expectations of running into someone I know at a bookstore, an airport, or an eclectic store with a random assortment of things (preferably one with a karaoke machine that plays "Surrey With A Fringe On Top).

There's a beautiful sense of time that doesn't exist in the world I inhabit. It's not a place where they run into their destiny on a bad hair day, or feel bloated at the mall. It's too precise for real life, which is where I get lost every single time. Each time Harry Connick Jr.'s voice rolls into "It Had to be You" as the audience watches Harry walk the streets of New York on New Years Eve, I weep. I know it's coming. I even know it ends with a kiss and a new year, yet I continue to sniffle and laugh through my whimpering because it's just too perfect to handle. Without fail I fall in love once again with Harry Burns and Sally Albright and the relationship I've always dreamed of having. It would be impossible for me to type the exact number of times I have watched When Harry Met Sally without it sounding like an exaggeration. I refuse to watch it with anyone else because I can't help reciting half of the lines, the other half I attempt but they are usually a few words off. It's quite an annoying habit for all. But it reigns in first place, and it has for years. There is nothing like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment