Monday, October 14, 2013

Those Places

You know those places? The ones that swallow you up and make you feel snug?

I think you do.
And if you're like me, they are rarely expected and hardly appreciated while you're there.

Turns out no matter how many imaginary homes you decorate with plum bedspreads, personal libraries, trendy shelves, antique lighting, and kitchens stocked with exceptional cookware, it still cannot define where you feel at home.

I struggle with this, with home.
The places my soul finds rest, where it can truly be - that is home to me.

However.

However, I have a lot of ideas, terrible ones in fact, of where I belong. Where I will thrive. Where I will find peace, rest, life, understanding, God.

Okay, okay my ideas are not all terrible, but the thing is, I spend so much energy focusing on what it should look like that I refuse to admit when I fit into a place I did not hand pick myself.

You'd think for the amount of time I spend with myself, talking to myself, thinking to myself, writing about myself, deciding things for myself that I'd know myself a little bit better than I do.

Le Sigh.

I am just thankful that there is a God that is patient with me, and gives me people to show me that patience. I am thankful for a small Nebraska farmplace that has held me as I let go of my previous notions of home, and a man that sees me with more clarity than I see myself.










“It is always the simple things that change our lives. And these things never happen when you are looking for them to happen. Life will reveal answers at the pace life wishes to do so. You feel like running, but life is on a stroll. This is how God does things.” 
― Donald Miller

A-freakin'-men.

No comments:

Post a Comment