Thursday, September 13, 2012

An excerpt from my Europe journal

I spent 5 weeks backpacking through Europe with my sister, and my life was enriched through God's constant grace and provision. Yet, I was also prodded at by the enemy's stick with my own doubts and selfishness, the constant stream of "what-ifs" preventing me from living life where I was, and fear that threatened to swallow me whole.
For a large portion of my time there, my body was immersed in the iciest pool of lies and discontent, but God cannot be shaken, and He dwells within my soul. I am human. And I come with a lot of baggage and a gradual understanding of truth, and I am thankful that the Lord never gives up on my failures, my insecurities, my harsh tongue.

I kept an fairly detailed account (though at the time it never felt like enough even though my hand often wimped out due to severe cramping) of our backpacking through Europe adventure, and I wish I could let my inky words do the explaining for me when people ask how it was. At least then I could do it some sort of justice, but more than that, it describes the state of my heart and where God was moving. So I thought I'd share just a small bit. Hope that doesn't seem odd, but sometimes when you look back, the bad things stick out more than the good, and I don't want that for Maggie or for myself.

"We then hung out downstairs and before we knew it, it was 9:30pm, but the sun was still out so it looked like 4pm-ohhhh Ireland. So we headed upstairs to take showers and talk to our Canadian roommates and learn all about the Quebec government and the French schools they have there. Then Maggie and I started to get a bit hyper and just laughed and laughed. One of the Canadians responded to our apology for being so talkative with, "Oh no, I was just thinking that this is how my sister and I are together. I haven't seen her in seven weeks, so this is preparing me." So at least this is somewhat universal: no matter where you go, sisters are sisters.
The rest of the night was just a lot of girls giggling, pure joy. Then we woke up and had breakfast with Anna and said a difficult goodbye. She could easily have fit in our pocket (her big red curls and all!) and come with us, which I told her. I think we are going to miss her a lot, and I can't even fathom that Galway was only a couple of days. We needed Galway. God has restored our hopes and my confidence that I am indeed where He always intended me to be. Yes there are still little arguments, packages that cost £50 to ship (like this morning...) sweaty runs to catch the bus, and full bladders with no bathroom to relieve us, but that does not define this trip. It's the bonding over our Gilmore Girls infatuation with Anna, the way our Canadian roommates say "aye" without laughing, it's Maggie selflessly french-braiding my hair nearly every day. Thank you Father for giving me more than I could have even thought of. For teaching me raw grace, and for loving Maggie and I enough to protect our weary spirits."

No comments:

Post a Comment